IF YOU DID NOT APPLY FOR EMPLOYMENT INSURANCE FOR THE AUGUST LAYOFF
If you did not apply for Employment Insurance (E.I.) for the August 12th to August 18th, 2018 layoff, but should have because that week you were;
• Ready willing and capable of working Monday-Friday
• Not out of the Country, or out of the Province of Ontario (or more than 2 hours away from the your residence Monday- Friday)
• Not in receipt of Sickness and Accident Insurance or W.S.I.B payments
• Not in receipt of qualified vacation,
• Not working for Ford Motor Company, or any other employer
You will need to Antedate, to have this period of layoff considered as part of your Employment Insurance claim. As now, any E.I. application for this period of time would be considered late by Service Canada, as you did not apply within 3 weeks of your last day worked.
To Antedate your claim, go to a Service Canada branch and request to;
“Antedate your Claim for Employment Insurance benefits, by starting your claim for the week of August 12th to 18th 2018”.
Service Canada could require you to complete a full online Employment Insurance application without a reference code and during the application process you may be asked for a valid reason as to why you delayed in applying or instead after you have completed the full online application, you may be required to write a valid reason on an Antedate form and return it to Service Canada.
There are absolutely no guarantees requesting to Antedate your E.I. claim back to August 12th will be accepted by Service Canada.The decision to accept or deny your request is up to them and it may take up to 30 days to process. If Service Canada determines your reason for delay in applying is justifiable, your EI claim will be pushed back to August 12th 2018 and you will be reimbursed any missing weeks in one lump-sum payment.
Regardless of whether or not you decide to Antedate your claim, you must apply again with the new Reference Code for the layoff from September 30th to October 6th, 2018. This is to insure you get a Four Digit Access Code to make your reports, going forward.
In Summary – steps in order to Antedate your claim are as follows:
1. Go to a Service Canada branch request, to Ante date your E.I. claim to August 12th 2018.
2. While at Service Canada go online and complete a full E.I. application for the August 12th, 2018 layoff with NO Reference Code, and complete any written Antedate Form required.
3. Then follow the procedures on the Unifor Local 707 website; (www.uniforlocal707.org)
“Step 1- How to apply for Employment Insurance Benefits online with Reference Code- September 2018”. This information will instruct you to once again apply for Employment Insurance with our new Reference Code for the layoff beginning September 30th, 2018. The New Reference Code for this layoff is 3515043515707708 and has been activated to accept applications starting October 1, 2018.
4. Once you receive a Personal Access Code in the mail from Service Canada complete your bi-weekly reports online or by phone as required.